Tuesday, January 27, 2009

newness, comfort, and a musical interlude

I forget to buy dryer sheets. The static electricity shocks me as I make my newly cleaned bed but completely amazes me as I turn out the lights and discover the firefly-ish display that awaits.

The first snow of the year coincides with my first day of work at the new job. I dread this at first but ultimately regress into childlike wonder as I trudge from the metro to the office. It takes all possible restraint to keep me from stopping to make snow angels in the freshly powdered parks I pass on the way.

"Sittin on the dock of the bay" breaks the clamor as I ascend from the warmth of the metro into the winter chill of street level. I grin as I discover that three bums have formed an a capella trio with perfect harmony.

I find comfort at my new job once I find the other non-native speakers (...both of them.).

No comments: